„ „ 12 3 75
120
„ „ 13 4 79
127
„ „ 14 3 82
132
Discharge (1.4.01) 362 c.m. per sec. 10 92
148 The average level of the marshes, in March and April, 1901, was from 7 inches to 1 foot above the river water surface. Between mile 65 and Hellet-el-Nuer, the width of the river is very variable; in many places it is only 60 yards and in others as much as 150 yards. The general average may be taken as from 75 to 80 yards, and the mean velocity of the stream at 2 miles an hour, at low water. The depth ranges from 15 to 22 feet, but in places is as much as 28 feet. The sudd blocks 9 to 14 were met with between miles 65 and 82. At block 14, what may be termed the first series of sudd obstruction ended, and with its removal, in April, 1900, through navigation between Khartoum and Gondokoro was restored. The worst place in the river, in the way of giving trouble, was block No. 10, at mile 67.
2 deleib palms. (W.) 16 108 From this point land approaches the river on both banks, that to the east being less extensive.
3 deleib palms. (E.) 5 113
Trees 12 125 Trees 5 miles to east.
Hellet El Nuer 14 139
223 At mile 139 from Lake No, Hellet El Nuer (or Aliab Dok) is reached. It is rather a pretty landing-place with stretches of short turf; no huts or inhabitants. The latitude at this place is 8° 4′ 36″ North, and at this point the high land touches the west bank of the Jebel and stretches in a broad expanse to the horizon. The bank here is 3 feet above the water, but the land rises at a short distance from the river. This plain is evidently never swamped, even in flood. It is covered with a growth of deleib palms, Euphorbia, and bush. It commences at mile 131, and continues along the river as far as mile 144, with swampy intervals at the loops.
Captain Gage’s channel — — At Hellet El Nuer itself, a branch of some size takes off the Bahr El Jebel. This channel is not shown upon any existing maps, and was first mentioned by Captain Gage, of the 7th Dragoon Guards, in his report upon his journey through the sudd in the winter of 1899-1900. It has a width of 70 yards, of which 10 yards on either side are filled by the swamp grasses. Its average depth, at low water, is 3 feet, and its mean velocity is 2 feet per second. Its discharge, as measured in March, 1901, was 21·74 cubic metres per second. Captain Gage’s channel leaves the Bahr El Jebel at a right angle, but some 500 yards down-stream it turns in a north-westerly direction. Captain Gage followed its course for some 40 miles, but was then stopped by sudd. It seems not improbable that this channel forms a junction between the waters of the Bahr El Jebel and those of the River Naam, which discharges into the Bahr El Ghazal, through the Khor Deleib. A few miles down-stream its banks are lined by a succession of Nuer villages, and its width increases to 200 yards. It must carry a large quantity of water when in flood. At other periods of the year (January) it appears to flow into, not out of, the Bahr El Jebel.
North end[36] of false and true channels and block 15 4 143
230 Four miles further on the channel widens into a small lake, and from here[36] the true river is blocked by sudd for some 20 miles. This is termed block 15, and repeated efforts to clear it out (1901-02), owing to the total absence of current, resulted in failure. The expedition under Lieutenant Drury, 1903-04, very nearly succeeded in clearing the whole of the true channel. Both Lieutenant Drury and Sir W. Garstin later passed right through this block in 1904, the only remaining piece near the southern end of the block being fairly easily navigable. The true channel is from 16 to 20 feet deep, whilst the false channel to the west is only 4 feet to 6 feet in depth. One of the Dervish steamers, with boats containing ivory, was sunk in this part of the river, and was discovered by the 1903-04 expedition. At present navigation of the false channel is attended with considerable difficulty, and the services of a competent pilot are indispensable. The river is separated into many branches, and these cross and recross one another, forming a bewildering labyrinth of islands. At the south end of the small lake before mentioned, channels converge from all points of the compass. These are separated by low flats, covered with dense growth of papyrus.
Series of lakes 7 150 After steaming for some 7 or 8 miles through a wilderness of papyrus, a series of lakes is reached, at mile 150 from Lake No. Stiff current here. These lakes have a depth of about 4 feet at the deepest point, but shoal rapidly towards the shore. A feeble but distinct current passes through them to the north. Their breadth varies largely. Their shores are surrounded by high papyrus and their surfaces are dotted by countless small sudd islands. There are, however, indications on both sides that the high land is not very far distant. It has already been explained that the true channel, which lies to the east of these lakes, is said to skirt the dry land. On the west a line of fair-sized trees at a distance of, perhaps, 2 miles, shows that the swamps in that direction also have a limit. A very noticeable feature of these expanses of water is their lifelessness. No birds are to be seen, and hippopotami appear to avoid them altogether. At mile 163 the lakes end, and a fresh network of branching streams confront the navigator. Here, again, very careful steering and knowledge of the passage to be followed is required. Each year these channels change. What is, in one season, the deepest channel, is, perhaps, the next year impassable. For some 5 miles the river is split up into many different branches, all winding through papyrus swamp. At mile 165 the true channel of the river is reached. The change is startlingly sudden, as the depth suddenly increases from 4 to 21 feet. Instead of a twisting stream, the Bahr El Jebel again becomes a fine open river, some 80 to 90 yards in width, bounded by a high fringe of papyrus on either side. The false channel leaves the river at an angle of nearly 90 degrees. In April, 1900, the junction was blocked by sudd, but this was light and easily removed. Large shallow lagoons extend on either bank, separated from the river by a belt of papyrus. The high land to the west ends about a mile from the river, and the swamp recommences. To the east a line of palms, perhaps, 6 or 7 miles distant, not improbably indicates the banks of the Bahr El Zeraf. Above this point the Bahr El Jebel widens out for some distance. In places its breadth is as much as 200 yards, and its depth from 15 to 18 feet. The swamps continue as before. At mile 166 the high land approaches the river on the east, and runs parallel to it for some 2 miles. It is covered with bush and an occasional Euphorbia. At this point a khor joins the Nile on the west bank, bringing in a strong stream of water. Two villages (Nuer) are to be seen in the distance; these are probably Favor and Fatooah of the German map (Julius Perthes). The mean velocity now averages 1½ miles per hour. Between miles 175 and 200 the high land and bush before mentioned touches the eastern bank at intervals. At mile 187 there is a break in this ridge, and two or three channels leave the Nile to the east. These are said by the natives to be the most northerly outlets of the Bahr El Zeraf. In 1900 a fine deleib palm stood on the water’s edge at this point. This formed a landmark that could be seen for miles. It has now, unfortunately, fallen into the river. At mile 220, and again at mile 223, channels come in from the west bringing water to the Jebel. These streams may possibly be the mouths of the River Rodi, or Yei, which is supposed to join the Nile somewhere in this locality. At mile 225 the false channel, which, previous to the clearance of blocks 16 to 19, was the only navigable line, joins the river. This was the route followed by Major Peake and Lieut. Drury in 1900, in making the journey to the upper Nile. They found the passage very difficult. During the transit they bent their rudder twice, and went aground four times. From this point numerous channels join the Bahr El Jebel on both sides. Many islands, covered with ambach and papyrus, separate the stream into numerous branches, and the whole country is once more a waste of swamp. The Bahr El Jebel here is extremely narrow (25 to 30 yards), but is from 18 to 22 feet deep. The false channel in appearance far more resembles the main river than does the true one.
South end of true and false channels and of block 15 15 165
265
Land approaches east edge of channel 1 166
North channel to Bahr El Zeraf 21 187
301
Mouth of Yei (?) 33 220
North end old false channel 5 225
362
Ex block No. 16 18 243
391
„ „ 17 2 245
394
„ „ 18 ½ 245½
395
South end of block No. 18 3½ 249
401 It is hard to imagine that this narrow, twisting stream can be the Nile. Its windings are worse than ever. A tree or a boat may be visible at a comparatively short distance ahead, and yet many miles of channel must be traversed before it is reached. The river here runs nearly due west, while the false channel follows an easterly course, passing through numerous shallow lakes, until it joins the main river again at mile 249. At mile 240 the Jebel widens out again, and more resembles a river in appearance than it did. Its average breadth is from 50 to 60 yards, and its depth is some 15 feet. Between this point and mile 248 occurred the four sudd obstructions, removed in February, 1901, by Lieut. Drury, R.N., and which were known as blocks Nos. 16, 17, 18, and 19. At mile 249 the Bahr El Zeraf takes off from the Nile, following the false channel for some distance, before branching off to the east. The width of this river at the head is about 30 yards, and the outlet is surrounded by a sea of marsh. Just up-stream of this point there is a severe bend in the Nile, which might one day give trouble. As the steamer passes, decomposed sudd rises to the surface.
Bahr El Zeraf — 249
401
Shambe 7 256
412 The general character of the landscape now changes, as land and forest are visible to the west, and at mile 253 from Lake No, the Shambe lagoon or khor is reached. This is a large lake, some 3 to 5 miles in length, and more than 1½ miles in breadth. Its depth averages 4½ feet. The post of Ghaba Shambe is situated in north latitude 7° 6′ 30″, on the west bank of its lagoon, at a distance of 1½ miles from the river. The land here is about 2 feet over the water, but rises as the forest is reached. It is a dreary-looking spot, consisting of a mud-brick house inside a mud parapet, and a nuzl, and a few “tukls” erected on the flat shore of the lake; garrison of 25 men; a Dinka village lies not far off. Shambe is now the chief Nile post of the Bahr El Ghazal province, and from here proceeds the road inland to Rumbek (116 miles), &c. The river winds round the lake for some 8 miles, separated from it by a band of marsh, about 600 yards broad. Large quantities of hippopotami. To the east the swamp stretches for a long way; at miles 255 and 256 are two other outlets of the Zeraf River. The aspect of the landscape is extremely desolate, with papyrus-covered marshes stretching in all directions. The river itself alternates between long straight reaches or easy curves, and a series of sharp twists and bends, which form a regular maze through the swamps. The water surface is covered with masses of detached plants of the Pistia (or sword grass) stratiotes. The mean velocity is 2 miles per hour; the average depth is 15 feet; and the average width from 50 to 60 yards. For many miles the same dreary scenery prevails. The river recedes a long way from the western forest, and on both sides an expanse of reeds and water extends. The width of the swamped area here cannot be less than 30 miles.
Abu Kuka 37 293
471 At mile 293 Abu Kuka, north latitude 6° 54′, is reached. The papyrus swamp ceases just north of this point. Here the forest approaches the river, and the bank is dry. The thick bush comes down to the water edge, the trees being about 1,500 yards away. The village of this name is inland, and is not visible from the river.
Kanisa 11 304
489 At miles 300 and 304, the old and new wooding stations of Kanisa are respectively situated on the west bank. Kanisa or “Heiligen Kreuz,” north latitude 6° 46′, is the site of the Austrian Mission which was located here for many years. The church and buildings were situated on the eastern bank, only a foot or two above the water, but their traces are no longer visible. A large fruit garden formerly existed on the west bank, but only two large shady trees are still alive. This Mission was abandoned in 1864 or 1865, on account of the deadly effects of the climate. The only inhabitants now are a few Dinka. The forest is very thick and consists of Sidr, other acacias, and a few Euphorbia. This forest is continuous as far as the banks of the Rohl, some 60 miles to the west.
Immediately up-stream of Kanisa, the river wanders away into the swamps as before. From this point, to mile 343, there is little to describe. The banks on both sides are very flat and rarely more than 2 feet above low water level. The papyrus now practically ends. Occasional clumps are to be seen, but nowhere in continuous masses. Tamarisk is common. The spills from the river into the marshes are very numerous, more particularly on the east bank. A line of trees on the eastern horizon, some 7 to 10 miles away, appears to mark the limits of the swamp. It is easy to see how the Bahr El Zeraf marshes are formed. At every few hundred yards the river spills into them. These spill channels are deeply cut, with vertical sides, as if dug by hand, and the amount of water discharged by them in flood must be very great. In size they vary considerably. Their average breadth is from 3 to 5 yards, but some are as much as 16 yards wide. Between miles 303 and 379, 129 spills were counted, of which 97 were on the east bank. Probably many more escaped observation.[37]
Lake Powendael 40 344
553 At mile 344 the large lagoon, known as Lake Powendael, commences on the west. The river circuits this lake for 4 or 5 miles, separated from it by a belt of swamp, varying in width from a few hundred to 2,000 yards. Lake Powendael is in many places as much as 3,000 yards in breadth, but is very shallow. Its surface is dotted with many small islands, and it is connected with the river by several inlets. Hippopotami are abundant in these parts. Both banks are now very low and flat, about 10 inches over the water. The reach of the river between Bor and Kanisa is unendurably desolate and monotonous, wandering through continual swamp for some 100 miles. At mile 360 another large lake is met with, also on the west. This sheet of water must be quite 4 miles in breadth, and the river winds round it for a long distance in a series of very sharp curves. Many natives are to be seen fishing here.
At mile 374 a welcome change appears, as a limit is at last visible to the eastern swamps, which are practically continuous from Lake No to this point. A line of villages (Dinka) stands 2 miles from the river, and behind them lies the forest. A little further up-stream these villages approach nearer, until at last, at mile 380 from Lake No, the high land on the east comes down to the river.
Bor[38] 40 384
617 Bor, north latitude 6° 12′ 46″, is a collection of Dinka villages which stretch northwards (outside the swamp) almost to the Bahr El Zeraf. The forest here stands back from the river on the east bank, but the high bank comes close to the water, except where a large backwater or lagoon passes through it for some 2,000 yards. Gordon mentioned this place as an inconvenient wooding station, but it is very handy now. A few tall deleib palms stand out as land marks. The houses of Bor are neither large nor important, but like in all Dinka villages they are well-kept, neat, and clean. The huts are circular in shape. They are plastered with mud and have conical thatched roofs. Each has a small door through which the inmates crawl. The people show no signs of shyness and appear comfortable and contented. They possess large herds of cattle. At mile 384 the river runs close under the high bank, hugging it for some distance. The land here is from 6 to 8 feet over the water, and is, of course, never flooded. The forest consists of thick bush, with a few large trees; a distinctive feature is the thicket of small deleib palms which cover the ground. Not one in 500 of these young palms appears to develop into a tree, but they form an extremely dense undergrowth. The Bahr El Jebel is now a fine stream, 80 to 90 yards wide, with a strong current. On the west the marshes stretch into space. The valley here must be quite 20 miles across.
Dervish Deim 6 390
626 South of Bor, the sudd, properly so-called, disappears. The marshes are formed of a deeper layer of sand, covered with a thin surface of clay, and with streaks of clay running through them. These swamps, except in the centre of the valley, are, as a rule, well over summer water-level, and the loss of water can be as nothing compared with that north of Bor. The vegetation, too, is of a different kind, being chiefly grass, and though dense enough, is not composed of those reeds which require to have their roots under water for a great portion of the year. At mile 390 the Dervish “Deim” is visible, situated on the east bank. This is the place held for so long by the Emir Arabi Dafaalla. The spot is well chosen for defence, as the river sweeps round it on two sides. The bank all round has been cleared of bush for a long way. The “Deim” is surrounded by a mud wall forming a rectangle, of which the river forms one side. The inclosure is some 400 yards deep by 700 yards in length. The mud bank, fast disappearing, is about 4 feet 6 inches high, with an outer ditch 3 feet deep by 4 feet wide. At the corners are small watch towers, and in other places remains of loopholed houses. The Bahr El Jebel now, for many miles runs close to the east bank. It winds continually, and there are occasional loops of swamp, but as a whole it follows the high land closely.